- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:30:31 +0000: Now Everyone Wants to Sell You a Magical Anonymity Router. Choose Wisely - WIRED » Threat Level
Maintaining your privacy online, like investing in stocks or looking good naked, has become one of those nagging desires that leaves Americans with a surplus of stress and a deficit of facts. So it's no surprise that a cottage industry of privacy marketers now wants to sell them the solution in a $50 piece of hardware promising internet “anonymity” or “invisibility." And as with any panacea in a box, the quicker the fix, the more doubt it deserves.
The post Now Everyone Wants to Sell You a Magical Anonymity Router. Choose Wisely appeared first on WIRED.
- Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:30:04 +0000: Pro-Privacy Senator Wyden on Fighting the NSA From Inside the System - WIRED » Threat Level
Wyden spoke with WIRED about the difficulties of keeping mum on classified matters, about his public showdown with intelligence chief James Clapper over the NSA's data collection on Americans, and about the government's use of zero-day exploits.
The post Pro-Privacy Senator Wyden on Fighting the NSA From Inside the System appeared first on WIRED.
- Wed, 22 Oct 2014 10:30:05 +0000: This Fake Log Jams Your Phone So You’ll Shut Up and Enjoy Nature - WIRED » Threat Level
The Log Jammer blends into a natural setting to cut off that constant remote communication---to force people to experience the place they're in.
The post This Fake Log Jams Your Phone So You’ll Shut Up and Enjoy Nature appeared first on WIRED.
- Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:30:01 +0000: Intimate Images of US Marshals From an Embedded Photographer - WIRED » Threat Level
The FBI may get all the love (and movies), but the US Marshals Service is America’s oldest federal law enforcement agency. Brian Finke spent nearly four years embedded with the marshals, chronicling their daily lives with intimate, revealing images that peer into an often dangerous world. “I felt like it was my own version of the […]
The post Intimate Images of US Marshals From an Embedded Photographer appeared first on WIRED.
- Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:26:02 +0000: How to Stop Apple From Snooping on Your OS X Yosemite Searches - WIRED » Threat Level
Apple's latest operating system OS X Yosemite pushes the limits of data collection tolerance: its desktop search tool Spotlight uploads your search terms in real time to Apple's remote servers, by default. Fortunately for Apple's angry users, however, this is one privacy invasion that's easy to cut short.
The post How to Stop Apple From Snooping on Your OS X Yosemite Searches appeared first on WIRED.