Privacy, Crime and Security Updates
- Mon, 20 May 2013 22:34:05 +0000: Hackers Who Breached Google in 2010 Accessed Company’s Surveillance Database - Threat Level
Hackers who breached Google's network in 2010 obtained access to the company's system for tracking surveillance requests from law enforcement, according to a news report.
- Mon, 20 May 2013 19:52:54 +0000: Feds Tracked Reporter’s Movements, Personal E-Mail in Criminal Conspiracy Investigation - Threat Level
In an effort to unmask a leaker who fed a reporter classified information about North Korea, FBI investigators tracked the journalist's movements in and out of a government building, obtained copies of his phone records and personal e-mails and also ...
- Fri, 17 May 2013 10:30:04 +0000: The Strange Story of Marie Antoinette’s Watch - Threat Level
It was a watch so beautiful, so elegant, so precise, that it could only have been meant for royalty. Then it vanished without a trace. | Photo: David Silberman/Getty Images The tiny Simca 1000 Sedan puttered through the ...
- Thu, 16 May 2013 19:57:09 +0000: Lawmakers Introduce Bill Requiring Court Order to Seize Phone Records - Threat Level
In the wake of the AP scandal, in which federal investigators obtained the phone records of journalists using only a subpoena, four lawmakers have introduced legislation in the House that would prevent federal agencies from seizing any phone records without ...
- Thu, 16 May 2013 18:17:51 +0000: LulzSec Hackers Sentenced to Prison by London Court - Threat Level
Four leading hackers from LulzSec, an offshoot of Anonymous, were sentenced today to between two and two-and-a-half years in prison in London for their roles in hacking Sony and a series of other targets in 2011.