Privacy, Crime and Security Updates
- Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:00:56 +0000: Researchers Easily Slipped Weapons Past TSA’s X-Ray Body Scanners - WIRED » Threat Level
Additionally, they found that they could infect the scanner with malware---most practically for an attacker by picking the lock on the scanner's cabinet and physically installing the malware on the PC inside.
- Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:30:52 +0000: This Android Shield Could Encrypt Apps So Invisibly You Forget It’s There - WIRED » Threat Level
In the post-Snowden era, everyone wants to make encryption easier. Now, one group of researchers has created a tool intended to make it invisible. A team from Georgia Tech has designed software that acts as an overlay on Android smartphones’ communication apps—like Gmail or Whatsapp—and mimics the apps’ user interfaces. When users type, the text […]
- Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:30:50 +0000: How to Save the Net: A CDC for Cybercrime - WIRED » Threat Level
Forming an agency whose core mission is cybersecurity research and information sharing would help change the nature of the game.
- Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:30:44 +0000: How to Save the Net: Keep It Open - WIRED » Threat Level
We have a unique opportunity to redesign the Internet's governance by enshrining the openness principle and the concept that all stakeholders should participate in policy development.
- Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:30:43 +0000: How to Save the Net: Build a Backup - WIRED » Threat Level
As more vital services are dependent on the Internet, we must make a back-up to avoid chaos.