Privacy, Crime and Security Updates
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:30:59 +0000: Drug Market ‘Agora’ Replaces the Silk Road as King of the Dark Net - WIRED » Threat Level
For two and a half years, the Dread Pirate Roberts and his Silk Road black market ruled the Dark Web. But last year’s FBI’s takedown of that narcotics smorgasbord opened the underground trade to competitors. Now those sites have a new leader, one that’s bigger than the Silk Road ever was and continues to grow […]
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:30:04 +0000: A Google Site Meant to Protect You Is Helping Hackers Attack You - WIRED » Threat Level
Before companies like Microsoft and Apple release new software, the code is reviewed and tested to ensure it works as planned and to find any bugs. Hackers and cybercrooks do the same. The last thing you want if you’re a cyberthug is for your banking Trojan to crash a victim’s system and be exposed. More […]
- Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:06:29 +0000: Bitcoin’s Earliest Adopter Is Cryonically Freezing His Body to See the Future - WIRED » Threat Level
"He’s always been optimistic about the future," says Hal Finney's wife, Fran. "Every new advance, he embraced it, every new technology. Hal relished life, and he made the most of everything."
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:30:23 +0000: Creators of New Fed-Proof Bitcoin Marketplace Swear It’s Not for Drugs - WIRED » Threat Level
When the recording industry smashed Napster with a $20 billion lawsuit more than a decade ago, filesharing morphed into Bittorrent, a fully peer-to-peer system with no central server for law enforcement to attack. Now the developers behind one software project are trying to pull off a similar trick with the anarchic model of bitcoin e-commerce […]
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 10:30:26 +0000: We Must Secure America’s Cell Networks—From Criminals and Cops - WIRED » Threat Level
The FCC’s new task force against illegal use of phone-spying "Stingrays" is a positive first step, but it doesn't address the underlying problem.